6.4.2013

This is what I wanted for my birthday this year


Traditionally it should have been a cake with cream and candles (more than I care to count), but this year I opted for a lemon meringue tart. And not just any lemon tart. Over the years I've tried numerous recipes but have always returned to this one. My favourite, by far...

I hope you'll like it too :-)

As you can see, my birthday was close to Easter this year - thus the chocolate eggs in the decoration. I tested tempering the chocolate myself, but the conclusion was simply that more practice will be needed on that front. I'll probably come back to it at some later date.


Minna's favourite lemon tart

Base :
250g flour
40g (icing)sugar
175g cold butter in cubes
1 egg yolk
2-4 tbsp cold water

Filling :
3 dl water
1 dl sugar
zest and juice of 2 lemons
4 tbsp Maizena
3-4 egg yolks
20g butter

Meringues : all the spare eggwhites + 2 dl sugar

Rub the flour, sugar and butter into a sandy texture. Add the egg yolk and enough water to quickly form a pastry. Cover in clingfilm and put to the fridge for 15min.

Roll the pastry, fill the tart case (24cm diameter) and put back to fridge for 15min more. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.

Put the tart case into the oven for 10-15 minutes until it is slightly browned. Leave to cool.

Make the filling. Mix water, sugar, lemon and Maizena into a casserole. Put on a medium heat and stir all the time with a wooden spoon. Once the mixture thickens, let it still cook for a couple of minutes. Take off the heat and quickly whisk in the egg yolks one by one then the butter in cubes. Leave to cool.

Increase the heat of the oven to 250. Spread the filling on the cooled tart base. Whisk the egg whites with the sugar until they form stiff peaks.  Use the piping bag or two spoons to spread the meringue on the tart. Put it to the oven and keep an eye on it for a few minutes, until the meringue is nicely browned.

Decorate the cooled lemon meringue tart as you wish and enjoy.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti